Deb started her own business in 2013 to deliver the consulting services and products she wished were available when she was a Chief Diversity Officer.
She focuses on offering practical, just-in-time resources, tools and support for diversity practitioners.
As Merck’s CDO for 11 years, Deb was responsible for global equal opportunity, employee relations, recruiting and staffing, and diversity and inclusion. Under her leadership, the company was recognized for its exemplary work in diversity and inclusion by DiversityInc and Working Mother magazines, the Families and Work Institute, and the Human Rights Campaign. Merck also received the Department of Defense Freedom Award (veterans) and the Department of Labor New Freedom Award (people with disabilities) during her tenure.
Prior to joining Merk, Deb was the leader of Learning Communications and Diversity at Silicon Graphics and head of Strategic Cultural Initiatives for Sun Microsystems.
She played a key role in the passage of the American with Disabilities Act through her lobbying efforts in both California and Washington, D.C. Deb was invited to speak on diversity and inclusion at the December 2008 “Citadel of Free Speech” City Club of Cleveland, which was broadcast live on NPR. She also testified in July 2011 before the U.S. Senate Health Education Labor and Pensions committee regarding best practices for improving employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Conference Board’s Workforce Council on Diversity (founding member and past chair)
- U.S. Business Leadership Network (board vice chair and Going for Gold Project Consultant)
- Families and Work Institute (board member)
- Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (board member and co-chair)
- Catalyst (Business Advisory Council member)
- Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding (Advisory Council)
- St Thomas University Workplace Forum on Inclusion (Advisory Council and Diversity Executive Forum Co-Facilitator)
- Job Accommodation Network (co-created many new accommodations products with JAN leaders)
- Inclusion Allies Coalition (Founding Partner)
- Stonewall National Archive and Museum (co-chair Advisory Council)
- Winds of Change Multicultural Forum on Workforce Diversity (2010)
- Champion of the Year from Out and Equal (2006)
- Exemplary Leader from Silicon Graphics (2000)
- Advocate of the Year from the Black Employees Network (1999)
- Award of Professional Excellence from the Northern California HR Council (1997)
- Tribute to Women in Industry (1996)